Wednesday, 30 November 2011

Onion gravy - good for sausages!

I am sitting watching a bit of Masterchef: The Professionals and feeling in a rather foody mood! That is despite the rather annoying judge Gregg Wallace who I am not convinced knows anything about food. His favourite comments are "That is full of flavour", "I really like that" or as a default, to just copy whatever Michel Roux Jr has just said but in a slightly different order. If you are going to be a food judge, at least come up with a bit more substantial vocabulary. As a food blogger, who no-one really reads, I have an excuse to be repetitive. But not on television, please!

On the subject of Roux, I am also slightly jealous of my parents-in-law who went for a fancy meal at Le Gavroche this week (which is run by Michel Roux Jr).

Anyway, I thought that it was about time I wrote up some nice onion gravy I recently made. It is from Nigel Slater's Real Food book which I really like. It is not a new book (first published in 1998 I think), but, as the title indicates, is about real, good, simple and tasty food. I would say that most of the stuff in there is comfort food and the book itself is divided up into straightforward chapters:
  • Potatoes
  • Chicken
  • Garlic
  • Bread
  • Cheese
  • Ice-cream 
  • Chocolate
This onion gravy comes from the sausage chapter and really needs to go with a big, fat, slow roasted sausage which, as Slater puts it, should be "sticky outside and juicy within" with "tight, glossy and deep golden brown skin".

I modified his recipe slightly but stuck to the general idea, swapping Madeira wine for a bit of white wine as we had some open already, and one of the onions for  a leek.

Ingredients
  • 75 g butter
  • Large onion
  • Tablespoon flour
  • 75 ml white wine
  • 250 ml vegetable stock
  • Worcestershire sauce (a generous splash)
Melt the butter in a heavy pan and then fry the onions gently till they go light brown and soft, then put on a lid and carry on cooking until the onions are a darker brown.

Add in the flour and brown it. Poor in the stock and wine, then season and add the Worcestershire sauce. Bring to the boil then simmer for quarter of an hour. Serve with sausages.



Stumble Upon Toolbar

No comments: