Tuesday, 13 January 2009

Manx Inspirations - January - Beef Tea


My fiancees family originate from the Isle of Man. For those of you who have not heard of it, it's an island between Liverpool and Ireland, part of the British Isles but with its own parliament, laws, culture and food. They also have their own language, I think it is of Celtic origin.

For Christmas, we received this delightful calendar from on e of my fiancees Manx relatives. It is a "Traditional Manx Cookery Calendar" with each month containing a recipe from "My Grandmothers Cookery Book" by Sue Woolley. They are a collection of traditional recipes that have been passed down from generation to generation. You can, if you so desire, purchase it from http://manxinspirations.com by searching for calendars.

I will try and post a recipe from the calendar every month, although to be quite honest some of them (most of them) will not be cooked as, so far, none have got me excited.


January's recipe is beef tea. In case you can't read it in the picture above, I will reproduce the recipe here:

Beef Tea

Beef tea makes a good nourishing drink, especially for invalids.

1/2 lb lean beef
3/4 pint water
Pinch of salt

Method

Shred the meat and remove all the fat. Pour the water into an earthenware jar and add the salt. Place the meat in the water and let it stand for an hour if possible. Then put the jar into a pan of boiling water and keep the water bubbling for two hours. Remove the jar from the pan. Strain the beef liquid to remove remaining fat. Before serving, add more salt if necessary.

I will not be cooking this recipe any time soon, but if anyone does please let me know how you get on... and if it is in any way worth while making. If I do get a hankering for a beefy drink, I will just buy some Bovril. I am not sure what happens to the beef afterwards, I reckon it would be pretty tender after all that stewing and might be good enough to eat.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

1 comment:

Desmone007 said...

There are definitely recipes for all kinds of things, aren't they? Sounds more like stock than tea!
I like your blog though and it looks like you got some really cool gifts! I thought you might be interested in sharing your cooking tips and recipes with us at Foodista. It's a cooking encyclopedia ala wikipedia, that everyone can edit.
We also have small embeddable widgets that can help you build traffic from Foodista-related pages. Check it out here. Cheers!