Sunday, 28 September 2008

Aubergine & Sweet Potato Curry

Hello, this is Ryan's fiancée! So tonight was my turn to cook! Now this doesn't happen very often, I am usually only allowed to do the pudding but today I made the main course. I was flicking through my Weight Watchers magazine (in a bid to try and shift a few pounds before the wedding) and saw this recipe and thought it looked yum! Just my type of meal - full of veggies. Now for those of you who know about weight watchers, the recipe was 1.5 points per serving! Wow! However this is not actually many points (most people can have at least 18 points a day) so we doubled the ingredients to give a hearty 3 points per meal (although Ryan had a slightly bigger portion, as he is not watching his weight - the opposite in fact). The below recipe is enough for 4 portions so we could save some for tomorrow night.

Below is a photo of the ingredients. The funny looking thing at the front is garlic grown on my parents allotment! The onions and spinach also came from the allotment too.

I misted a saucepan with low fat cooking spray (a key ingredient for Weight Watchers but Ryan isn't keen on it!) added 3 diced onions and sautéed for 5 mins until the onions had started to soften. Next I added 4 cloves of crushed garlic, 3 tbsp of medium curry powder and 4 tsp of whole cumin seeds and continued to fry for 2 mins stirring all the time.

Next I added the veg - 1 large aubergine diced, 1 huge sweet potato (a spudzilla from our local Tesco!) diced, one large courgette from our garden diced, 1l of vegetable stock made from 2 stock cubes and some seasoning. All this was put in the saucepan (by the way the saucepan needs to be huge!) and brought to the boil. See picture.

Once boiling the heat was reduced, pan covered and left to simmer for 20 mins until the vegetables were tender.

Whilst this was happening I boiled an egg, as the receipe required a hard boiled egg on top but I don't like eggs so just did one for Ryan.
Once the vegetables were tender I added 400g of diced spinach, stirred to combine the flavours and then cooked for a further 2 mins until just wilted.
This was then divided between 2 bowls with half left over for tomorrow nights dinner. Topped with 1 tbsp of low fat natural yogurt, a sprinkle of fresh coriander and the hard boiled egg. It was very tastey and low in fat - perfect!


Stumble Upon Toolbar

1 comment: