Sunday, 1 June 2008

Tuna Mayonnaise Sandwich

The tuna sandwich is a simple, quick to make sandwich yet it remains an all time classic sandwich filling, and will, I think, always be popular.

This is my version of it! I challenge anyone else to come up with a better sandwich filling, and would love to see anyone elses take on this classic sandwich.

First off, get a can of tuna, in salted water. Drain it by squeezing out the water in the can, the place it into a bowl.

Now you are going to need all these ingredients:

Season well with salt and pepper, and a generous dollop of mayonnaise, a smaller dollop of ketchup, a few splashes of Tobasco sauce (Other chilli sauces are available), and a generous squeeze of lemon juice. Mix well.

Choose a suitable bread based product to contain your delicious tuna filling. Here I have used two floury baps, white obviously, none of this wholemeal bread nonsense goes with tuna.

Don't be stingy with the filling, get as much as you reasonably can into the sandwich or roll. There is no need for butter with tuna mayo, as the filling is juicy enough already.

Add some salad to your sandwich - I like tomato, and a bit of lettuce. Cucumber is a classic choice, or sweetcorn.



Wow, it looks good! Now eat it straight away, this doesn't work well for a pack lunch because the bread goes all soggy.


Stumble Upon Toolbar

6 comments:

missbliss said...

Mine has to have sweetcorn, and be on brown bread.

Ruth Elkin said...

This sounds like a good way to get me eating more fish! liking it!

JennDZ - The Leftover Queen said...

I love tuna salad too! I usually use Italian tuna packed in olive oil, I do dump the can's oil out, but I add some good quality one to my mixture. Then I add just a little mayo and some olives and capers, salt and pepper. Throw it on a baguette smear with harissa and you have a sandwich of love!

Ryan said...

Miss Bliss - sweetcorn and brown bread - a controversial choice! Any other votes on white or brown bread?

Ruth - you need to get into tuna sandwiches, they are tasty and (if you use lighter or less mayonaise) quite healthy.

Jenn - I like the addition of the harissa, olives and capers to the sandwich! Might have to give that a go.

Mitali Desai said...

Easy ...
for a packed lunch
I would suggest taking the tuna mixture, salad and bread in separate packages and making sandwich later

Dianne Grover said...

A lot of people are fond of eating tuna sandwiches. Just like the various food selections in catering Fort Lauderdale (for example), this sandwich is very easy to prepare and proven healthy. This sample recipe that you have shared is a great addition to this well-loved food. Thanks for sharing.