Saturday, 3 May 2008

Spicy Chicken Drumsticks

This recipe comes from my good friend R, and it is very tasty! The chicken can only really be eaten with your fingers, no knives and forks for these, just make sure you have some paper towels to hand to wipe up after, as they are very sticky and juicy! The smoked paprika is the key here, it (surprisingly enough) adds a really smokey flavour to the chicken. You can really smell this as they cook in the oven, beautiful! R recommended using a whole tube of chilli in this, but I thought that would be just a little bit too spicy for me, so I just used half a tube. Any sort of chicken pieces will be good for this recipe I think, but I used thighs and drumsticks since they were on special offer in Tesco this week (£1.50 for 6 pieces).

I think this would also work really well on a barbecue too.

If you don't have a pestle and mortar, you could probably make the paste up in a blender. And don't use a porous wooden pestle and mortar like I did, as it is a nightmare to get clean afterwards. I think the next kitchen thing I will buy will be a nice solid stone pestle and mortar - rather like this one...



Ingredients

  • 6 chicken thighs/ drumsticks/ wings
  • 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
  • 1/2 tsp fennel seeds
  • 1/2 tsp caraway seeds
  • 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
  • 1 clove garlic
  • Salt and pepper
  • 1/2 tube chilli paste
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1/2 tablespoon red wine vinegar


In a pestle and mortar, grind up the seeds to a fine powder. Add the paprika and chopped garlic and grind some more.


Squeeze in about half the tube of chilli paste, and add the oil and vinegar. Grind some more to mix it all up well, and season with salt and pepper.


Toss the chicken in the paste, making sure all the pieces are well coated. Cover and leave to marinate. The longer the better really, although I only left them for half an hour as I was in a hurry. If you are organised, you could leave them to marinate over night.

Preheat the oven to 200C/ Gas Mark 6.

Place the chicken pieces in a roasting tin, and spoon any remaining paste over the top.

Cook for about 40 minutes, turning and basting a couple of times during the cooking. When done, the chicken should be golden brown and sticky.

Serve with some green salad, and some potatoes or chips.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

5 comments:

Ruth Elkin said...

I love messy finger food! This could be a great marinade for BBQs in the summer!

Neen said...

This looks like a sinfully hot take on buffalo wings. I'll have to pass this on to my partner, he adores all things involving heat and chicken drumsticks.

Ruth Elkin said...

Hey Ryan, I've an award waiting for you on my blog. You can pass it on if you want but please don't feel that you have to! I just wanted to acknowledge how great I think your blog is.

toontz said...

Ryan-
Those look delish!

Roopa said...

That looks sooo tasty :)