Tuesday, 22 April 2008

Minced Beef and Potato Curry

This curry is my version of a traditional Pakistani curry known as a keema. It is often made with minced lamb, but I have used beef in this one.


It is a great meal as it is all made in one pan, no need for cooking rice or vegetables on the side. I was going to put peas in it today, but instead used green runner beans as they were on Buy One Get One Free in the supermarket. Any green vegetables like peas or mange tout would work well in this dish.

Ingredients

  • 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
  • 2 medium onions - chopped
  • 3 cloves garlic - chopped
  • 4 hot green chillies - chopped with seeds in for extra heat
  • 1 small lump fresh ginger - chopped finely or grated
  • 500 g minced beef
  • 1 tablespoon cumin
  • 2 teaspoons dried coriander
  • 1 teaspoon hot chilli powder
  • 1 teaspoon paprika
  • 500 g new potatoes - quartered
  • 400 g tin chopped tomatoes
  • 3 carrots - chopped
  • Water
  • Salt
  • 250 g runner beans - topped and tailed and chopped

Heat the oil in a large pan, then fry the onion until it starts to turn golden. Add the chopped garlic, chillies and ginger and fry for another 2 minutes.

Add the beef to the pan, and stir fry until it is no longer pink in colour.


Now stir in all the spices and fry for another 2-3 minutes, making sure the beef is well coated in spice.


Add the tinned tomatoes, chopped carrots and potatoes and stir. The potatoes should be just covered with liquid, so you will need to add a bit at a time. I used the empty tomato tin, and it required just over 1 tin to fully wet the potatoes.

Cover and simmer on a medium heat for around 45 minutes or until the potatoes are cooked.


About 5 minutes before the end of cooking time, add in the green beans.

Simmer for a further 5 minutes and then serve in bowls.


Stumble Upon Toolbar

5 comments:

Ben said...

Nice and easy curry recipe. That's another food I need to make before I die. Hehe

Ruth Elkin said...

I am bookmarking this one!!!! I know hubby will love it too (except with peas instead of the runner beans).

Was it a 400g tin of tomatoes?

Ryan said...

Thanks for your comments! It was a 400g tin of tomatoes, I will just update that now!

Roopa said...

very good one:)I love chicken keema, so maybe I will try it with that:)

K8tie said...

Just cooking this now, it looks yum! :-) Your recipe came up when I googled 'mince and potatoes recipe'. Only thing is, I haven't got any beans to throw in at the end, oh well. Had everything else in.
Hope it tastes as good as it looks ...and smells!