Sunday, 9 March 2008

Light Yoghurt and Lemon Drizzle Cake


My girlfriend made this cake today. Instead of using butter, the fat in the cake is yoghurt which makes for a very moist cake. The recipe she took it from said to use artificial sweetener, which I think tastes awful, it always has a really bitter funny after taste. For a 'diet' cake, this is still quite healthy even with real sugar. It originally came from the Weight Watchers recipe book but as she has changed the recipe, it is not quite as low - calorie!

Ingredients
  • Low fat cooking spray
  • 150 g low fat plain yoghurt
  • 175 g self raising flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 8 tablespoons caster sugar
  • 7 teaspoons sunflower oil
  • 2 egg whites
For the drizzle topping
  • Grated zest and juice of 1 lemon
  • 2 tablespoons caster sugar
Heat the oven to 160C. Line an 18 cm cake tin with baking paper and grease with the low fat cooking spray.

Mix all the cake ingredients, apart from the egg white, together until smooth.

Beat the egg whites until fluffy and gently fold into the cake.

Pour into the cake tin and bake for 40-45 minutes. Check towards the end by poking a fork in it - if it comes out clean, the cake is cooked. Also, if the top is firm and lightly browned then its ready.

Cool the cake on a wire rack. Meanwhile, make the drizzle topping by heating the lemon juice, zest and sugar in a pan until dissolved.

Poke holes over the top of the cake using a fork or skewer. Put onto a serving plate and drizzle over the topping. This will soak into the cake and make it really moist and sweet.

This cake is very tasty warm with a dollop of low-fat yoghurt on the top.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow that cake looks lush. Cooked to perfection.

Amanda said...

I was going to make this cake but realised I didn't have any lemons! I tried to make a chocolate one but I think cocoa is too dense and I forgot to beat the eggs before I put them in! It had a strange leathery crust on the top and bottom (probably because I overcooked it as well) and it didn't rise very well. What a fool I am, tomorrow I will buy some lemons but if you have any ideas on how a chocolate version could be achieved I would love to know!