Sunday, 9 March 2008

The chilli so hot you need gloves - from Times Online


I was forwarded a link to this article the other day by a friend at work. In the summer I normally grow some chilli's out on the patio, although with last years distinct lack of summer, I did not have much luck and they all rotted on the bush before getting ripe. I found this article very interesting indeed. These chilli farmers in Dorset have grown some record breakingly hot chilli's, called the Dorset Naga.

I found it quite hard to believe how hot these are, especially considering where they are grown, I mean I normally associate chilli's with coming from hot, exotic countries like India, Thailand, South America, and then Dorset!

Anyway, the scale to measure the heat of a chilli is called the Scoville scale. To give you an idea of just how hot these are lets put it into context -

FROM HOT TO NOT

Scoville Heat Units

Pure capsaicin: 15m to 16m

US Police-grade pepper spray: 5m

Dorset Naga: 923,000

Red Savina habanero: 577,000

Scotch bonnet: 100,000-325,000

Jamaican hot pepper: 100,000-200,000

Cayenne pepper: 30,000-50,000

Jalapeno pepper: 2,500-8,000

Tabasco sauce: 2,500

Pimento: 100 to 500

Bell pepper: 0



So although I love a spicy meal, I think these ones are too spicy even for me! I just imagine getting chopping them, then rubbing my nose or eyes afterwards. Ouch.

Going to the toilet after chopping these does not even bear thinking about! Makes my eyes water.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

No comments: