Tuesday, 25 March 2008

Chicken Stock

Yesterday I cooked a roast chicken (in a bag). I hate seeing any food go to waste, so I obviously took the carcass and, after stripping all the meat off for sandwiches and salads, made it into some stock. Normally, I make up a lot, divide it up into portions and freeze it so that it can be defrosted and used in recipes as needed.

This home-made stock is far superior to any stock cubes or even shop-bought stocks, as it can be tailored to your individual tastes. I don't like the saltiness of ready bought stocks, preferring to decide how much salt to put into the meal towards the end of cooking rather than relying on stock for salt.

This is roughly what I used to make the stock, although really any flavours can be added into the mix. If using the stock in Chinese foods, for example, I may consider putting some more Asian flavours into it. The rule is no rules, just add in what you fancy really! Mix it up and experiment.

  • Chicken carcass - meat removed, I use the giblets (if available) and skin as well
  • 1 carrot
  • 1 onion
  • 4 cloves garlic - peel on, crushed under a knife
  • 2 bay leaves
  • 1 lemon (this was inside the chicken when cooking)
  • Small handful whole peppercorns
  • 1 bouquet garni
All this was put into a pan, covered with water, and then covered and cooked on a low simmer for about 4 hours.

I have read some reports about people concentrating the stock down by evaporating off the water and then freezing in an ice cube tray, giving little concentrated blocks of flavour. I have not yet tried this, preferring to just freeze the bulk liquid and use it straight in sauces and soups, but I think I will give it a go next time.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

1 comment:

ruthEbabes said...

I've never made stock before... I usually cheat with stock cubes.

I'll have to give this a go next time I do a roast chicken.