Sunday, 9 March 2008

Carrot and Coriander Soup

I sort of made this recipe up myself. Knowing that carrot and coriander go well together, but not having an exact recipe I just made it up as I went along. The result was not bad at all if I do say so myself. I added in a splash of orange juice with this soup, just to take a little bit of the sweetness of the carrots away. I always use the stalks of the coriander as well as the leaves, as there is a lot of flavour in these too.

Ingredients
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 8 large carrots
  • 1 small potato
  • 1/2 onion
  • 1 clove garlic
  • 1 tsp dried coriander
  • 500 mL vegetable stock
  • 1 tsp cumin
  • 1 tsp hot curry powder
  • 1 handful fresh coriander - stalks and leaves included.
  • 1 dash orange juice

Chop the onion and garlic and fry in the oil until soft. Next add the peeled and chopped potato and carrots, mixing well. Add the dried spices - coriander, cumin and curry powder, stir around the pan, and finally add the vegetable stock as well.

Bring to the boil, then reduce to a gentle simmer. Leave with the lid on to simmer until the potatoes and carrots are soft (not too soft - probably this will only take about 15 - 20 minutes).

Now, take off the heat, put the soup into your blender and add the chopped fresh coriander, and a splash of orange juice. Blend until smooth, season with salt and pepper to your taste and serve garnished with a sprig of fresh coriander.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

1 comment:

Carlina said...
This comment has been removed by the author.