Tuesday, 26 February 2008

Braised Red Cabbage With Apple

We were lucky enough to be given a red cabbage from my girlfriends parents allotment at the weekend, so I thought I would do some braised red cabbage with apple. I remember having this one Christmas when my grandparents came over, and for years afterwards my nan was going on about that "Exotic cabbage" we had at Christmas time.

I have also made this before without all the spices, just leave them out if they are not to your taste. It is a variation of a recipe from Delia Smith, so pretty much always works well.

Ingredients

  • 1 red cabbage
  • 1/2 cooking apple
  • 2 tbsp white wine vinegar
  • 1/2 onion
  • 1 clove garlic
  • 1/4 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp cloves
  • 2 tbsp brown sugar
  • Knob of butter
  • Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Peel off the outside cabbage leaves, and then finely shred the cabbage, leaving out the thicker middle parts. Chop up the garlic and onions.

Season and then mix up all of the apple, spices, onion, garlic and sugar in a pan with a tightly fitting lid. Add the vinegar and dot the butter on the top.

Cook with the lid on tightly on a very low hob heat for about 45 minutes and then serve.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

No comments: